This is one tasty casserole! Cooked quinoa is mixed with enchilada sauce, a mixture of veggies and black beans. Topped off with Mexican cheese and baked, this recipe is not only simple it’s a super-healthy family meal.
Nothing compares to good Mexican food. Most times it can be loaded with cheese, heavy sauces and in some cases even deep-fried. Here we share a healthier take on Mexican food using quinoa, veggies and enchilada sauce to create a casserole. Quinoa is not only gluten-free, it is full of protein which is a great option for vegetarians.
Easy Southwestern quinoa bake recipe
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen or canned corn
- 1 small can enchilada sauce
- 1 cup shredded Mexican-style cheese
- 1/2 cup green onions, thinly sliced
- Sour cream for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray a casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Spray a large pan with nonstick cooking spray and add the sweet onion and bell peppers. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes to soften.
- In a large bowl, add the cooked quinoa, cooked vegetables, black beans, corn and enchilada sauce. Mix well and pour into the casserole dish. Top with shredded cheese and bake for 25-30 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool several minutes. Garnish with sliced green onions and sour cream. Serve immediately.
This is a vegetarian recipe, however you can add ground turkey, ground chicken or lean ground beef if you prefer. Just precook the meat and mix it into the quinoa mixture before baking.