This watermelon shrimp ceviche is my go-to meal in the summer when it’s too hot to even think about turning on the oven. It’s easy, delicious, gluten- and dairy-free, and hits the spot on the hot nights.
Watermelon shrimp ceviche recipe
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons diced fresh jalapeños, seeds removed
- 1-1/2 cups raw shrimp, chopped (shell and tail removed)
- 1/2 cup fresh-squeezed lemon or lime juice (or a mixture of both)
- 3 cups watermelon, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha sauce
- Corn chips and Boston lettuce leaves for serving
- In a large bowl mix together the bell pepper, onion, cilantro, jalapeño, shrimp and lemon juice.
- Refrigerate and allow shrimp to “cook” in the citrus until opaque, about three hours (Note: you can substitute chopped cooked shrimp). Add the watermelon, salt, pepper and Sriracha, stir to combine.
- Serve with lettuce or chips.