Meatballs do not just have to pair with noodles and tomato sauce. This simple dish gives you the sweet flavor of Hawaii in delicious meatball form.
Forget the spaghetti and meatballs. These slightly sweet Hawaiian-inspired meatballs are paired up with brown rice to create a filling and delicious meal. Who ever said meatballs can’t be dinner?
Hawaiian meatballs and rice recipe
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, divided
- 1 cup brown sugar barbecue sauce, divided (plain sauce will work, too)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 green bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 small yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup plain panko breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups instant brown rice
- Green onion, chopped (optional)
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with a Silpat and preheat your oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, add half the pineapple and 3/4 cup of the barbecue sauce. Mix and set aside.
- In a large bowl add remaining pineapple and barbecue sauce, green bell pepper, yellow onion, garlic, egg, panko breadcrumbs, salt and pepper.
- Using your hands, mix together until combined. Roll into 1-inch balls and add to prepared pan. Once all the meatballs have been made, cook for 20 minutes until the meatballs are fully cooked.
- Warm the sauce on the stove (or in the microwave) and toss with the meatballs before serving.
- While the meatballs are baking make, sure to prepare the instant brown rice according to the box directions.
- Serve meatballs over rice with a sprinkle of chopped green onions if desired.