Since plant-based diets are growing in popularity, recipes are too. Here we share a super-easy recipe for vegan cheese that uses cashews as the base. The finished product results in a creamy spreadable “cheese” that is infused with a hint of citrus from fresh lemons.
If you are a vegan or just want to try something new, this is a wonderful recipe. Since more and more diets are excluding dairy, this is a great option when you have that cheesy craving. There are many choices when it comes to cheese substitutes on the market but many are highly processed. This recipe uses only several ingredients and is very easy to prepare.
Easy vegan cashew cheese recipe
Yields about 1-1/2 cups
- 1 cup raw organic cashews
- 4 cups hot water
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- In a large bowl add the raw cashews and hot water. Cover with a kitchen towel and allow to soak for 2-4 hours. Drain the cashews and rinse well.
- To a food processor, add the soaked cashews, salt, nutritional yeast and the lemon juice. Blend on high and stir frequently scraping down the sides of the bowl. Keep processing the mixture until it is very smooth, and there are no lumps.
- Fold in the lemon zest and add to a serving bowl. Serve with crackers, bread or as a dip with fresh vegetables.