Homemade lemon pudding with vanilla whipped cream
Homemade lemon pudding is a great summer dessert. Make it ahead of time for summer gatherings, top it with fresh fruit or cookies, and it's a hit with a big crowd.
Lemon pudding with vanilla whipped cream
For the pudding
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2-1/2 cups whole milk
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into cubes
For the whipped cream
- 1 cup heavy cream, chilled
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a saucepan off heat, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, milk, egg yolks, salt, zest and lemon juice until well combined.
- Add the butter and place on the stove over medium-high heat. Stir continually until thickened, about 8 minutes. Pour into individual serving bowls, chill until set, about 3 hours.
- Once the pudding has set, make the whipped cream. Add the cream, powdered sugar and vanilla to the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat on high until soft peaks form. Distribute whipped cream between all the bowls. Chill until ready to serve.