2 No-bake summer desserts
When it's 95 degrees out, who wants to spend time indoors baking pies and cookies? Leave the oven off and enjoy a rich, fruity dessert by whipping up these light and delicious bake-free summer treats!
Both of these decadent desserts use in-season produce, like cherries and strawberries, to give them even more of a summer flair. Paired with your favorite crisp white wine or Champagne, these will instantly be favorites around your dinner table this summer.
Chocolate mousse with cherries
Yields about 6
For the crust:
- 24 Oreos
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
For the mousse:
- 11 ounces chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1-1/3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- To make the crust, chop the Oreos until they are superfine. Mix with melted butter and press into 6 lightly greased tart dishes. Place in the fridge and chill until cool.
- Melt the chocolate in a microwave for about 90 seconds, stopping to stir every 30 seconds. Once melted, stir in butter and mix until melted. Whisk in eggs and set aside.
- In a chilled mixing bowl, beat the whipping cream and sugar until a peak forms, about 4 minutes. Fold the chocolate mixture into the whipped cream mixture carefully. Chill for about an hour.
- Once chilled, pour over crusts. Cut cherries in fourths and place over the mousse. Top with a dollop of whipped cream and an another cherry.
Frozen strawberry shortcake with ice cream
- 8 pre-made shortcakes
- 8 large strawberries
- About 2 cups vanilla ice cream
- Whipped cream for garnish
- Mint for garnish
- Scoop about 1/4 cup of ice cream onto each pre-made shortcake. Freeze for about 2 hours, or until firm.
- Meanwhile, cut each strawberry into slices. Once shortcakes are firm, decorate with sliced strawberries (around the ice cream). Garnish with freshly whipped cream and mint.