Lemonade adds vibrant acidity and a hint of sweetness to these refreshing summer cocktails.
Eating outside and pairing yummy summer recipes with light, refreshing cocktails are two great summer activities.
In the video above, chef Mario Batali from ABC’s The Chewcooks up a summer classic: the lobster roll. At $1.30 a roll, this fan favorite is cheaper than the standard bologna sandwich. The fresh lobster and light homemade mayo pairs perfectly with a summer shandy. Batali shows how to mix beer, Italian bitter orange soda and a splash of aperol in a cold glass for a refreshing dinner drink.
If beer with orange soda isn’t a favorite of yours, think about making cocktails starring another summer classic – lemonade! Lemonade covers the sweet and tart components of a balanced beverage and pairs well with many liquors. Check out these summer recipes inspired by The Chew‘s chef Mario.
Minted whiskey sour
In this twist on a classic whiskey sour, the crisp flavors of lemon and mint balance the sweet richness of bourbon.
- 15 mint leaves, plus more for garnish
- 6 ounces lemonade
- 3 ounces bourbon
- Muddle mint leaves and 1 ounce of lemonade in a cocktail shaker.
- Add bourbon and the remaining 5 ounces of lemonade, then fill the shaker with ice.
- Shake briefly. Strain over ice in rocks glasses.
- Garnish with mint.
Strawberry lemonade spritz
Effervescent and refreshing, the strawberry and thyme bring out the botanicals in the gin for an uplifting experience. Perfect for lounging by the pool.
- 4 ounces lemonade
- 4 strawberries, quartered
- Leaves from 1 sprig thyme
- 4 ounces gin
- 4 ounces club soda
- 2 lemon slices, 2 strawberry halves and 2 thyme sprigs, to garnish
- In a cocktail shaker, muddle 1 ounce of lemonade with the strawberries and thyme.
- Add gin and 3 ounces of lemonade and fill the shaker with ice.
- Shake briefly and pour, unstrained, into Collins or wine glasses.
- Top each drink with 2 ounces of club soda.
- Thread the lemon slices and strawberry halves onto toothpicks to garnish, along with thyme sprigs.
Boozy pink lemonade
Strong, spicy rye and tart, sweet rhubarb simple syrup make this spiked lemonade a warm-weather favorite. It’s pink lemonade with an extra kick!
- 4 ounces lemonade
- 2 ounces high-proof rye
- 1 ounce rhubarb simple syrup
- 2 slices of lemon, to garnish
- Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker. Then fill it with ice and shake vigorously.
- Strain into cocktail glasses.
- Garnish with lemon.
After you’re done putting yourself in a food coma with delicious lobster rolls and summer shandy, kick your feet up and watch more of chef Mario’s recipes on ABC’s The Chew at 1e|12p|c. If you can’t find time then to meet up with Mario and his other celeb chef co hosts, log onto Hulu for full episodes!