Taco salad stuffed heirloom tomatoes
Eating a salad every day may be good for our waistlines, but its definitely not good when our lives are in a rut. If you can't take a beach vacation, why not add some spice to your lunch by having these creative and zesty taco salad stuffed heirloom tomatoes!
Each fresh, in-season tomato is stuffed to the brim with your favorite taco salad fixin's, like grilled chicken, iceberg lettuce and zesty Mexican blend cheese. Not only is this a more fun way to enjoy a salad, it minimizes clean up since you can actually eat the bowl!
Taco salad stuffed heirloom tomato recipe
- 2 large heirloom tomatoes
- 8 ounce chicken breast
- 3 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped iceberg lettuce
- 1/2 medium bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons Mexican blend cheese
- 2-1/2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon water
- Chopped tortilla chips
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add bell peppers and heat until soft, about 2 minutes.
- Chop chicken into bite-size pieces. In another skillet, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and add chicken and taco seasoning. Stir in water and cook until chicken is fully cooked, about 6 minutes.
- Cut off the tops of the tomatoes and scoop out the insides. Fill each tomato with 1/4 cup lettuce, 1/2 of the onion and pepper mixture, 4 ounces of chicken, crushed tortilla chips, salt, pepper and Mexican blend cheese.