Homemade rainbow pasta
Want to make dinnertime fun again? Skip the weird-shaped nuggets and serve up this bright, festive and delicious homemade rainbow pasta!
Although you can definitely sub in dried store-bought pasta, there's just nothing quite like homemade pasta. With the help of our trusty KitchenAid stand mixer and amazing pasta attachments, making pasta is a breeze! Simply toss this pasta in some olive oil, add a bit of Parmesan and serve alongside your favorite garlic bread for a dinner that's almost too pretty to eat!
Homemade rainbow pasta recipe
Inspired by Tablespoon
Serves about 6
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Dash of salt
- About 1/4 cup water
- Red, yellow, blue and green food coloring
- In the bowl of your KitchenAid stand mixer, add flour and salt. Whisk slightly until just mixed. Make a well in the center of the flour and carefully pour in the lightly beaten eggs. Attach your dough hook and beat on low until a soft dough forms. Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and knead until soft and elastic. Roll out to about 1/4-inch thickness with a wooden, lightly floured rolling pin.
- Attach the pasta rolling attachment and set to 4 or 5. Place the pasta into the roller and roll out until paper thin (without any holes). Attach the fettuccine attachment and put rolled out pasta sheet through. Carefully untangle the pieces if they stick together. Repeat until all pasta has been cut.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add a dash of salt. Add pasta and cook until it floats to the surface, about 3-5 minutes. Rinse.
- Working while pasta is still warm, separate into four shallow bowls. Add a few drops of each food coloring to the bowls and evenly coat the pasta (we used tongs to coat all sides). Let sit for about 2 minutes to absorb the coloring. Once set, rinse again in cold water to get rid of excess coloring.
- Serve pasta colors mixed together and enjoy!