If you’re dairy-free and have been missing one of your favorite ice cream flavors, a scoop of this vegan cherry chocolate ice cream will hit the spot.
Calling all Cherry Garcia lovers!
Take advantage of cherry season with this creamy vegan ice cream. You can even substitute frozen cherries to satisfy your craving any time of the year.
Vegan cherry chocolate ice cream recipe
- 2 (15 ounce) cans full-fat coconut milk, divided
- 3 full droppers of vanilla stevia (or 3/4 cup sugar)
- Pinch salt
- 2-1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 whole cherries
- 1 cup roughly chopped fresh cherries
- 1/2 cup chopped chocolate
- In a heavy saucepan, combine all but 1/4 cup of the coconut milk, the stevia (or sugar) and salt. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and the remaining 1/4 cup of coconut milk until smooth. Add to the saucepan and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and can coat the back of a wooden spoon.
- Remove coconut mixture from heat and let cool to room temperature. In a blender, combine the coconut mixture and whole cherries to tint the base a light pink color. Cover and chill at least 4 hours, or up to 24 hours.
- When chilled, freeze the mixture in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s directions. During the last few minutes, add the chopped cherries and chocolate to mix into the base. Serve immediately or place in the freezer.