What’s more patriotic than a pie? How about a pie topped with stars and stripes lattice? Oh yes, we went there. This gorgeous, sweet and delicious strawberry pie is as American (and delicious) as it gets.
This stunning pie will have all of your friends and family talking about your baking skills as soon as they see it. And the best part? It’s actually quite easy to assemble! To make it even easier for anyone to replicate, we used store-bought pie crust. If you’re a Martha Stewart, you can certainly make your own crust to make it just a bit more homemade.
Stars and stripes summer pie recipe
Serves about 8
- 2 store-bought pie crusts
- 6 cups fresh strawberries, hulled
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease a pie plate with nonstick cooking spray.
- Using a floured rolling pin, roll one of the pie crusts out slightly. Carefully fit into the pie plate with some overhang.
- In a bowl, mash one cup of strawberries. In a saucepan, add sugar and flour. Stir in the mashed berries, water and lemon juice. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly, until thick (almost like a gelatin). Remove from heat.
- Spread 1/2 of the mixture on the bottom of the pie crust. Cut the remaining strawberries in fourths and place over the sugar/strawberry mixture. Top the quartered strawberries with the remaining gelatin glaze.
- To make the lattice, roll out the second pie crust. Cut out about 6 strips. Start laying three of the longer strips on the bottom of the pie, placing them about 1/2 inch apart from each other. Cut off extra overhang and carefully press both edges into the other pie crust. Cut the remaining 3 strips of lattice in half and stack them on the top half of the pie about 1/2 inch apart from each other. It should look like flag stripes.
- With the remaining dough, stamp out small and medium star shapes using star cookie cutters. Place the stars over the open spot of the pie (to the left of the half long strips).
- Bake pie for about 25-35 minutes, or until crust is golden brown. Chill before serving.