Stir things up on a Gluten-free Friday! This stir-fry recipe includes great flavors served up with a slight surprise: quinoa instead of rice.
For a Gluten-free Friday dish, try this chicken and broccoli stir-fry over quinoa recipe. Rice is often served with stir-fry dishes, but we’ve replaced it with quinoa for a nice alternative. The combination of savory soy sauce (make sure to use gluten-free soy sauce) and fresh lemon juice tastes amazing served up with the colorful broccoli and hearty chicken.
Chicken and broccoli stir-fry over quinoa recipe
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 3/4 cup gluten-free chicken broth
- 1-1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free soy sauce
- 1-1/2 tablespoons sugar
- Juice from 1 lemon
- Zest of half a lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 large skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 1-1/2 pounds), cut into strips
- 12 ounces broccoli florets, cut into bite-size pieces
- Cook the quinoa according to the package directions, then set it aside, keeping it warm.
- Combine the cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of the chicken broth in a small bowl. Whisk it together until it’s smooth, then set it aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the gluten-free soy sauce, sugar, and lemon juice. Mix it until the sugar dissolves, then set it aside.
- Add the canola oil to a large skillet or wok over high heat. When the oil is hot, add the chicken and cook, constantly stirring, until done (about 3-5 minutes or when the chicken is no longer pink in the center). Remove the chicken from the skillet, place it in a bowl and set it aside.
- Add the broccoli to the skillet used to cook the chicken and reduce the heat to medium-high. Stir the broccoli, cooking it for about a minute.
- Add the chicken broth to the skillet with the broccoli, and bring it to a boil. Once boiling, stir in the cornstarch mixture to thicken the broth. Add the red pepper flakes and black pepper.
- Add the chicken back to the mixture and toss all the ingredients a few times so everything is well coated with the sauce.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and place the mixture in a serving bowl. Sprinkle the lemon zest over the mixture.
- Evenly divide the quinoa among four plates, and top each with the chicken and broccoli mixture.
This stir-fry will satisfy!
More Gluten-free Friday recipes
Rice noodles with veggies and Thai basil sauce
Parmesan and almond-crusted cod
Spinach and white bean salad with avocado dressing