It’s all about flavor with these chicken tikka masala kabobs!
Don’t allow the long list of ingredients to dissuade you from making these — they’re actually quite easy to prepare and will awaken your taste buds — with Indian flair!
Chicken tikka masala kabob recipe
- 1-1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (cut into chunks)
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons garam masala
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 4 red dried chili peppers
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup cilantro, leaves and stems, rinsed well
- 2 tablespoons garlic, diced
- 2 tablespoons ginger, diced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons salt (divided one/one)
- 1 teaspoon pepper (divided half/half)
- 1 large onion, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes (keeping layers together if possible)
- 6-8 wooden skewers, soaked for at least 1 hour
- Fresh lemon slices for garnish and squeezing onto the grilled chicken
- Salt and pepper the chicken with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl add yogurt, cream, garam masala, chili powder, turmeric and cumin. Mix well.
- In a small food processor, add chili peppers, olive oil, cilantro, garlic, ginger, tomato paste and remaining salt and pepper. Puree until well blended.
- Add contents of the food processor to the the large mixing bowl with the yogurt, cream and spices. Mix all together well. Add chicken to the bowl and stir well, coating the chicken (completely covering it) with the marinade. Allow chicken to marinate in the the refrigerator, covered, stirring occasionally, 2-4 hours.
- Preheat your grill to high. Thread marinated chicken and the onion onto skewers, alternating, chicken, onion, etc. Cook chicken kabobs about 3-4 minutes per side. Serve with lemon slices and fresh warmed naan if desired.
The fresh lemon juice brings out all of the kabob’s beautiful flavors. Basmati rice makes a wonderful side dish for this meal.