Whether you shun anything canned or you simply have an abundance of black beans in need of a recipe, these refried beans are especially easy to make and taste better than anything you’ll glop out of a can.
Homemade refried black beans
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups homemade black beans
- 2 jalapeños, sliced crosswise
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Lime wedges
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, and cook, stirring often, until onion is softened.
- Sprinkle cumin and coriander over onion mixture and stir. Season with salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add beans and mash, stirring occasionally, until mixture is hot.
- If you prefer a thinner consistency, stir in a little water.
- Serve hot, garnished with jalapeno slices, cilantro and lime wedges.