Garlic Naan (flatbread)
Naan is a versatile bread that can be eaten bite by bite as an accompaniment to your main meal or it can be stacked for a sandwich or used as the base for a fast vegan pizza.Naan is a versatile bread that can be eaten bite by bite as an accompaniment to your main meal or it can be stacked for a sandwich or used as the base for a fast vegan pizza.
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup soy milk
- 2 cups bread flour plus more for kneading
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- Grapeseed oil
- In a large bowl, mix together yeast, water, and sugar. Set aside for 5 minutes or until mixture is frothy.
- Add salt, milk, flour, and garlic. Bring ingredients together to form a soft dough.
- Dump dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 8 minutes or until dough is smooth.
- Place dough in a large oiled bowl, turning the dough over to coat it with oil.
- Cover bowl with a damp cloth and set aside in a warm, draft-free place to rise. Let dough rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down and dump onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough into 4 to 8 pieces, rolling each into a ball. Set balls on a baking sheet and cover with a towel. Allow them to rise until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
- Brush a large skillet or griddle with oil and heat to high.
- Roll each portion of dough into a thin circle.
- Cook each portion of dough for 2 to 3 minutes. Brush the top of bread with additional oil and flip. Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes or until both sides are nicely browned.
- Repeat with remaining dough, brushing skillet or griddle with oil in between portions.
- Serve warm or let cool completely and store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
More tasty vegan baking recipes!