Don’t knock it ’til you try it! If you think bananas and lentils have no culinary place together, this South African-inspired recipe will deliciously surprise you.
Banana lentil salad recipe
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red pepper pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh flat-leaf parsley plus whole leaves for garnish
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro plus whole leaves for garnish
- 2 cups cooked lentils (cooked until tender but not mushy)
- 3 ripe but firm bananas, peeled, sliced crosswise
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until onion is softened.
- Add bell pepper and cook, stirring, until just starting to soften.
- Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add parsley, cilantro, and lentils. Cook, stirring often, until lentils are heated through.
- Transfer lentil mixture to a large bowl and add bananas. Drizzle with vinegar and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately, garnished with parsley and cilantro.