Super Bowl: San Francisco Sourdough Farmer's Bread
This Super Bowl Sunday let Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa and Wolfgang Puck help you serve your football-loving gang some fresh baked bread to go along with the many other mouthwatering game day eats you've got on your menu. If you're a San Francisco fan, Puck's sourdough bread recipe will be especially delicious.This Super Bowl Sunday let Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa and Wolfgang Puck help you serve your football-loving gang some fresh baked bread to go along with the many other mouthwatering game day eats you've got on your menu. If you're a San Francisco fan, Puck's sourdough bread recipe will be especially delicious.
Simple Sourdough Farmer's Bread
Recipe courtesy of Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa
Yields 3 (10-inch) loaves
- 7 cups rye flour
- 4 cups lukewarm water
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 3-1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 4-1/2 tablespoons salt
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- To prepare the sourdough starter: Place 1-1/2 cups of the rye flour and 2/3 cup of the lukewarm water in a large bowl and mix well. Cover with a damp towel and let sit at room temperature for at least 24 hours. The mixture will become a little bubbly and give off a slightly fermented smell. (If the room is cool, this may take a little longer.)
- Dissolve the yeast in 1/2 cup of the lukewarm water.
- Place the remaining water, the sourdough starter, the remaining rye flour and the whole wheat flour, the salt, and knead the dough in the mixer for another 20 minutes. The dough should come together neatly in a ball.
- Cover the mixing bowl with a damp towel and let the dough rise at room temperature for about 45 minutes, or until it doubles in volume.
- Knead the dough briefly by hand to remove any large air pockets.
- Butter and flour three 9x5-inch loaf pans. Divide the dough in three parts, shape each into a 9-inch cylinder, and place them in the prepared pans. Let the loaves rise for 1 hour or until they at least double in volume. With a sharp knife, cut one long slash, about 1/2-inch deep, on the tops of the loaves. (This allows the dough to expand as it bakes.)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Bake the loaves for about 25 minutes, or until they are golden brown. Reduce the heat to 325 degrees F and continue baking for about 20 minutes. Remove the loaves from the pans and let cool.
More vegan entertaining recipes!