Roasted cauliflower soup
Cauliflower tends to get overshadowed by its bright-green relative, broccoli. However, being a crucifer like broccoli, cabbage and Brussels sprouts, the under-appreciated cauliflower is chock-full of cancer-fighting phytonutrients and is ultra-versatile in the vegan kitchen. This roasted cauliflower soup is a hearty vegan recipe that can be served as a main dish or side dish, depending on your menu.
Roasted cauliflower soup recipe
- 5 cups cauliflower florets
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup carrots, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted red peppers from a jar, drained
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Toss cauliflower with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread cauliflower on a rimmed baking sheet and roast, turning occasionally, for 20 minutes or until fork tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot over medium heat, warm the remaining oil. Add onion and carrots, and cook, stirring often, until the carrots just start to soften.
- Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add broth, roasted pepper, peas, thyme and parsley. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add cauliflower and simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to purée about 1/4 of the cauliflower.
- Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot.