The weekend before Christmas is the perfect time to bake these yummy gingerbread cookies with your kids.
Yields 3 dozen
- 1/2 tablespoon ground flax
- 1-1/2 tablespoons water
- 2-1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch of ground cloves
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, mix together flax and water. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves.
- In the bowl of a standup mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together butter, molasses, vinegar, and vanilla until smooth. Beat in flax mixture.
- Add flour gradually, beating on low until each addition is incorporated.
- Divide dough in half and knead into disk. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. and line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough out to 1/4-inch thickness. Use gingerbread man cookie cutters (or another shape of your choice) and place on baking sheets about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10 minutes, rotating pans after 5 minutes, until cookies are just firm. Let cool on the pans for 5 minutes then transfer to wire racks to continue to cool.
- Decorate with your favorite icing and serve.