Celebrate autumn with this hearty, healthy vegan side dish recipe featuring carrots, butternut squash, and yams. Give it an extra healthy kick by pairing it with whole wheat couscous or quinoa.
Cinnamony Carrots, Squash and Yams
The inspiration for this recipe was from one of my favorite new lines of cookwear, WearEver Pure Living, an American-made brand featuring a toxin-free non-stick ceramic coating that is scratch and stain resistant, oven-safe to 750 degrees F., and dishwasher-safe. This healthy veggie recipe is a snap to cook in the Pure Living 3.5 qt Covered Skillet, available in red or champagne.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound carrots, cut on the diagonal into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/2 pound butternut squash, seeded, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 pound yams or sweet potatoes, peeled, halved lengthwise, and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- Generous pinch of salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 cup pitted prunes, halved
- 1/2 cup water
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add carrots, squash, and yams. Cook, stirring often, for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Season with salt, pepper, cinnamon, allspice, lemon zest and juice. Cook, stirring often, for 3 to 4 more minutes.
- Stir in prunes and water. Cover skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 to 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add more water if skillet dries out. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Serve hot.