Considering that my family has grown grapes in California for the sole purpose of providing raisins to dried fruit lovers, I have a strong affinity for the dried gems of nutrition.
Always on the lookout for new ways to cook with raisins, I was thrilled to find this raisin-based recipe in the raw food cookbook Gorilla Food: Living and Eating Organic, Vegan, and Raw by the charismatic chef Aaron Ash who has a raw vegan restaurant named Gorilla Food in Vancouver. If you can't frequent the celebrity-sought eatery, get your hands on Ash's cookbook.
Recipe from Gorilla Food(Arsenal Pulp Press, 2012) by Aaron Ash
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves
- Soak raisins in water and apple cider vinegar for 1 to 4 hours.
- In the food processor, with the s-blade, process all ingredients into a puree.
- Serve as a spread for toast, dip for crackers, or as a flavorful condiment for wraps, sandwiches and more.