…Especially when the temperatures start to fall. This curry pumpkin soup will warm your belly and make you happy to welcome in the cooler fall and winter temperatures. This vegan soup is also a go-to when you start feeling under the weather.
Thai Curry Pumpkin Noodle Soup
Serves 4 to 6
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh lemongrass
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons Thai yellow curry paste
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon hot chili paste (such as sambal oelek)*
- 2 (15-ounce) cans coconut milk, divided
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 2-1/2 tablespoons umeboshi paste
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 3 cups snow peas, trimmed
- 2 cups cubed pumpkin or other winter squash
- 1 pound dried rice vermicelli noodles or rice stick noodles
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 red Thai bird chiles or 2 red jalapeño chiles, thinly sliced with seeds
- Generous handful of chopped roasted peanuts
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Fill a large pot with water and add a generous pinch of salt. Set on the stove to boil.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic, lemongrass, and ginger. Cook, stirring, for about 1 minute.
- Stir in curry paste, curry powder, and chili paste.
- Use a spoon to remove the coconut cream from the top of each can of coconut milk. Stir it into the curry mixture.
- Add remaining coconut milk, broth, umeboshi, and sugar. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer while you prepare remaining ingredients.
- Cook snow peas in the large pot of boiling salted water for about 30 seconds. Use a strainer to transfer peas to a bowl of cold water to halt cooking. Drain and set aside.
- In the large pot, add pumpkin or winter squash. Bring to a boil and cook until just tender. Using a strainer, transfer pumpkin or winter squash from the pot to a large bowl.
- Bring water in same pot back to boil and cook noodles according to package directions until al dente. Drain noodles.
- Add snow peas, pumpkin or winter squash, and noodles to the coconut mixture. Toss well to combine.
- Warm through and serve hot, garnished with green onions, cilantro, chiles, peanuts, and lime.