These colorful savory cakes are quick to fix and can be made ahead and reheated in the oven.
Broccoli sweet potato cakes
- 1 pound broccoli florets, chopped into small pieces
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- In a large pot, combine broccoli, sweet potatoes, onion and water.
- Bring it to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium and cook, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Drain the vegetables and use a potato masher to mash the ingredients together.
- Add thyme and season with salt and pepper. Mash again.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Divide broccoli mixture into 10 patties.
- In batches, adding more oil if needed, cook the patties for 5 to 6 minutes on each side.
- Serve hot with vegan butter and sour cream.
Cook’s note: You can make these cakes up to two days ahead, let them cool completely, and keep them refrigerated until you’re ready to serve them. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and place cakes on a baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes or until heated through and crisp on the outside.