When your bumper crop of rhubarb pops up, make this four-ingredient rhubarb compote. You can spread it on toast, swirl it into yogurt, or use it as a dessert topping.
Yields 6 cups
- 3 pounds rhubarb stalks, diced
- 2-1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- In a large heavy saucepan over medium heat, stir together all ingredients.
- Cook, stirring often, to dissolve the sugar.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover the pan, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until rhubarb is tender, 8 to 9 minutes.
- Transfer compote to mason jars and process in a boiling water bath. If you are going to use the rhubarb in the next few days, you can skip the canning process and keep in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.