Kalamata olive, lentil and spinach penne
This vegan Kalamata olive, lentil and spinach pasta recipe is easy enough for an everyday family meal and delicious enough to take to your next potluck.
- 1/2 cup lentils, rinsed
- 1 cup water
- 1 pound penne
- 1/2 cup olive oil, plus more for sautéing
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- Generous pinch salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 ounces fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- 3 Roma tomatoes, halved, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion, minced
- 1 cup Kalamata olives, sliced
- 1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- In a medium pot, combine lentils and water and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer, cover the pot and cook the lentils until they're tender. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pot of salted boiling water according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- In a food processor or blender, combine olive oil, vinegar, mustard, garlic and parsley. Puree until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 to 3 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add spinach, tomatoes and onion, stirring to combine. Cover the skillet and let the spinach steam for 1 to 2 minutes. Remove the lid and cook, stirring, until the spinach is wilted.
- Transfer the pasta back to the large pot and add lentils, olive oil mixture and spinach mixture. Toss to combine. Add olives and walnuts and toss again.
- Serve immediately.