Just because you don't sink your teeth into beef or turkey patties doesn't mean you can't fire up the grill for great burgers. Make these flavorful chickpea burgers for your next cookout.
Serves 4 to 6
- 2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- 1/4 cup finely chopped roasted red peppers
- 3 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 green onions, minced (white and green parts)
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 to 6 ciabatta rolls
- Condiments of your choice
- Lettuce leaves
- Sliced tomatoes
- Sliced red onion
- In a large bowl, combine chickpeas, peppers, mayo, and mustard. Use a potato masher to smash ingredients together.
- Add green onions, parsley, bread crumbs, and chipotle. Season with salt and pepper.
- Form bean mixture into 4 thick patties. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Heat a grill to medium heat and oil the grate.
- Place bean burgers on the grill and cover. Grill for 5 minutes each side.
- During the last couple of minutes of grilling the burgers, place the ciabatta rolls on the grill, cut-side down. Grill until just toasted.
- Make burgers by layering bean burgers on ciabatta rolls with your favorite condiments, sliced tomatoes, and red onion slices.