Blueberry White Chocolate Scones
Celebrate the start of a new day by sinking your teeth into these blueberry white chocolate vegan scones.Celebrate the start of a new day by sinking your teeth into these blueberry white chocolate vegan scones.
- 10 tablespoons vegan butter, frozen, finely chopped or grated, divided
- 1/2 cup plain soy creamer
- 1/2 cup vanilla flavored soy or coconut yogurt
- 1 vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Grated zest of a lemon
- 1-1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/3 cup vegan white chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F. and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of the vegan butter and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together creamer, yogurt, and vanilla seeds. (Tuck the used vanilla bean in a bowl of sugar to make vanilla sugar.)
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and lemon zest.
- Add frozen grated vegan butter to the flour mixture and toss with your fingers until thoroughly coated.
- Add creamer mixture to the flour mixture and fold with a spatula until just combined.
- Dump dough onto a floured work surface and knead a few times.
- Add the blueberries and white chocolate and gently knead them into the dough, forming the dough into a flat, round disk.
- Use a sharp knife or bench scraper to cut disk into 8 evenly sized wedges.
- Place wedges onto the prepared baking sheet and brush with melted butter. Sprinkle with sugar, if desired.
- Bake for 18 minutes or until scones are golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly. Serve warm.