Day of the Mushroom: Types of mushrooms and recipes
Who knew there was a holiday dedicated to fungi? April 16 is Day of the Mushroom in select foodie circles (pretty much any group that loves food-centric holidays and can't get enough mushrooms) so we've got a list of different types of mushrooms for you to forage and find ways to include in your vegan menus.
Types of mushrooms
- White button mushrooms -- the most familiar of fungi, these mushrooms have a mild flavor that intensifies when cooked.
- Brown cremini mushrooms -- related to the white button, these mushrooms are darker in color and denser in flavor.
- Portobello mushrooms -- a perfect vegan substitute for animal-based burgers, portobellos have a meaty flavor and texture.
- Shiitake mushrooms -- these wild mushrooms have frilly umbrella caps and a meaty texture when cooked.
- Oyster mushrooms -- considered the most graceful of the mushrooms, oyster mushrooms have fluted caps, a velvety texture and a mild flavor.
- Enoki mushrooms -- these tiny-capped mushrooms which grow in clusters and have fragile, long stems, are best eaten raw as a garnish for salads, soups or Asian-inspired dishes.
- Porcini mushrooms -- these fungi are one of the most sought-after wild mushrooms, boasting a meaty texture and lovely flavor.
- Chanterelle mushrooms -- these flavorful mushrooms are frilly and lily-shaped and have a unique flavor with hints of apricot and almond.
- Morel mushrooms -- available in yellow and black varieties, morels are characterized by nutty, earthy flavors with honeycomb crevices which are perfect for sauces.
- Truffle mushrooms -- ah, truffles, the most expensive mushroom, possess a powerful flavor, a little of which goes a long way. (We love truffle olive oils because they lend truffle scent and flavor sans the steep price.)
Day of the Mushroom recipes
- Gluten-Free Spicy Tofu Noodle Salad with Shiitakes
- Radish, Cucumber, Mushroom Salad
- Grilled Portobello Sandwich
- Portobello Stroganoff
- Sun-Dried Tomato, Mushroom, and Spinach Sauce
- Creamy Mushroom Fettucini
- Miso Enoki Mushroom Soup
- Vegan Paella with Mushrooms
- Mushroom Spinach Brown Rice
- Spicy Bean Gumbo with Mushrooms
- Braised Tofu in Mushroom Sauce
- Stir-Fry Veggie Pizza
- Wild Mushroom Risotto
- Shiitake Brown Rice Noodle Soup