Kathy Freston, author of The Lean: A Revolutionary (and Simple!) 30-Day Plan for Healthy, Lasting Weight Loss, shares this amazing breakfast quinoa recipe that is so delicious it can double as a dessert. Loaded with protein and fiber, this vegan recipe is a great way to start your morning and give you long-lasting energy throughout your day.
Kathy Freston’s Breakfast Quinoa
Freston recommends rinsing quinoa before cooking to reduce any bitterness and avoid the quinoa from being mushy. Be sure to try other ingredients, such as blackberries, cinnamon, and shredded coconut. Check out Freston’s vegan diet tips for more ways to boost your nutrition.
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/2 cup water
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon Earth Balance spread
- 1 medium apple, cored, diced, with peel
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- In a small saucepan, bring the quinoa, milk, water, and salt to a boil for 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and cover for 15 minutes or until all the water is absorbed. Remove from the heat and let sit, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet over medium heat, melt the Earth Balance spread. Add the apple, stir together until evenly coated, and saute for 1 minute. Cover and cook for 3 minutes, or until soft
- Add the cinnamon and walnuts and cook for 1 additional minute.
- Stir in the apple mixture with the quinoa, and divide between 2 bowls.
- Drizzle the agave nectar on top and enjoy!