Who doesn’t need more gourmet popcorn in their life? This salty sweet vegan snack recipe may sound unusual but once you take a munch, you’ll find it to be irresistible.
Vegan Bacon Maple Popcorn
Makes 10 cups
- 1-1/2 pounds vegan/vegetarian bacon, cooked until crisp, crumbled
- 7 cups popped plain popcorn
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone mat.
- Spread bacon, popcorn, and cashews onto prepared baking sheet.
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, combine sugars, maple syrup, and water. Cook, stirring, until a candy thermometer reaches 280 degrees F.
- Stir coconut oil, baking soda, and salt into sugar mixture. Continue to cook, stirring, until temperature reaches 300 degrees F.
- Pour sugar mixture evenly over popcorn mixture, stirring lightly to coat. Set aside to cool until candy coating sets.
- Break popcorn into pieces and serve. If making ahead, let popcorn cool completely and store in an airtight container for up to 2 days.