A traditional dish served during Hanukkah, carrot tzimmes are usually made with honey. We've substituted agave in this vegan Jewish recipe.
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled, sliced or diced
- Water to cover
- 1/2 cup agave
- Juice of 1 small lemon
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Salt to taste
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, combine carrots, water, agave, lemon juice, cinnamon and salt.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the carrots are cooked through, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove cover and increase heat to medium-high. Cook, stirring often, until the liquid is reduced and forms a glaze on the carrots.
- Add the vegan butter and stir until it is melted. Serve hot.