Since your slow cooker is sitting on your counter for warm, hearty winter dinners, it’s the perfect time to use this invaluable kitchen appliance for homemade applesauce. Great for breakfast, a healthy snack, or vegan side dish for your savory meals, this spicy applesauce will quickly become a winter slow cooker favorite.
Slow Cooker Applesauce
Makes about 3 cups
- 8 apples of your choice, cored, chopped
- Juice and zest from 1 lemon
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 whole star anise
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar or more to taste
- Place apples in the slow cooker and add lemon zest and juice.
- In a square of cheesecloth, combine cinnamon, star anise, cloves, and ginger. Wrap cheesecloth around spices and tie to secure. Place it in the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle brown sugar over ingredients and give a quick stir.
- Cook on HIGH for 4 to 6 hours. Remove spice bag. Use an immersion blender to make smooth or chunky applesauce, depending on your liking.
- Adjust taste by adding more sugar or ground spices. Serve warm.
Cook’s note: Applesauce can be refrigerated for up to 1 week in an airtight container. You can also can the applesauce in mason jars for future use.