Roasted ginger beets
This roasted beet recipe boasts ginger, fresh herbs and toasted walnuts for a satisfying and gorgeous vegan side dish for the holidays or whenever you have red or golden beets on hand.
Roasted ginger beets recipe
- 1 pound beets, trimmed and scrubbed
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 fennel bulb, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 bunch watercress, stems removed
- Handful of walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Place the beets in a baking dish and drizzle them with half of the oil. Season with salt and pepper. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until beets are tender.
- When beets are cool enough to handle, scrub off the skins using a paper towel, and cut them into bite-sized pieces.
- Heat the remaining oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion and fennel and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are softened and golden.
- Season onion mixture with salt and pepper and add garlic and ginger. Cook, stirring often, for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Transfer the onion mixture to a large bowl. Add maple syrup, mustard and vinegar and stir well to combine.
- Add beets, parsley and lemon zest and juice. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place watercress on a serving platter, toss beet salad and pour it over the watercress.
- Top with walnuts and serve immediately.