I love gingerbread cookies year round but the holidays certainly give me every excuse to bake these spicy, chewy, sweet-tooth satisfying treats.I love gingerbread cookies year round but the holidays certainly give me every excuse to bake these spicy, chewy, sweet-tooth satisfying treats.
Makes 3 dozen
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground flax
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Whisk together flour, flax, baking soda, spices, and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand-up mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar until creamy. Beat in molasses and vanilla.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture and blend on low, scraping down the sides of the bowl occasionally, until a dough forms.
- Dump dough onto waxed paper and form into a log the diameter you want your cookies. Wrap with waxed paper and refrigerate overnight or a for a few hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and line 2 baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper.
- Unwrap gingerbread dough and use a sharp knife to slice log into cookies.
- Place cookie dough slices on prepared baking sheets and bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until cookies are set.
- Cool on the baking sheets for 5 to 10 minutes then transfer to wire racks to continue to cool.
- Store completely cooled cookies in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Cook's note: Get creative with this recipe and roll dough out after you take it from the refrigerator. Use star-shaped or other Christmas-themed cookie cutters to make shaped gingerbread cookies. Decorate with cookie icing or dust with powdered sugar.
More delish vegan holiday recipes!