If you love vegetables and gooey cheese on a light fluffy crust, then do we have a treat for you. Veggie tarts as a Thanksgiving appetizer are like little bites of heaven for you and your guests.
The beauty of these tarts is their simplicity — puff pastry is an amazing time-saving ingredient that makes these appetizers a snap to whip up so you can spend your efforts working on the main course. The best part is that our version of the tarts is totally vegetarian, and we’re even using a special dairy-free cheese to make it vegan. Meat-free Thanksgiving diners will thank you for the amazing treat.
Thanksgiving appetizer tarts recipe
- 1 (17-ounce) package frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 2 cups shredded vegan cheese
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, each halved
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, seeded, sliced
- Handful of chopped fresh herbs of your choice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Unfold each sheet of puff pastry and roll with a baking pin to flatten evenly. Cut each sheet in half. Place on baking sheets.
- Scatter cheese evenly over the puff pastry. Top 2 sheets with grape tomatoes and the the other 2 sheets with bell pepper slices.
- Sprinkle herbs over the tomatoes and peppers.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until puff pastry is lightly browned and cheese is melted.
- Move baking sheets to wire racks to cool for 10 minutes.
- Transfer tarts to a cutting board and use a sharp knife or pizza wheel to cut into strips. Serve immediately.
Originally published November 2011. Updated November 2016.