Gingerbread bars with crystallized ginger frosting
Gingerbread bars are the perfect vegan dessert or snack for the kids or to tide over hungry holiday guests awaiting your Thanksgiving or Christmas feast.
Gingerbread Bars with Crystallized Ginger Frosting
- 2 tablespoons ground flax
- 6 tablespoons water
- 3-1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup vegan margarine, divided
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup molasses
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup soy milk
- 1/2 cup minced crystallized ginger
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and grease a jelly roll pan.
- In a small bowl, combine flax and water and set aside for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, and pumpkin pie spice.
- In the bowl of a standup mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine 1/2 cup margarine, water, molasses, and flax mixture. Blend on medium-low speed to combine.
- Add flour mixture and blend on medium speed until ingredients are combined and moistened.
- Pour batter onto the prepared baking sheet and bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer sheet to a wire rack and cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine remaining 1/2 cup margarine, confectioners' sugar, and milk. Beat with an electric hand mixer on low until ingredients are combined.
- Spread frosting on the gingerbread and sprinkle with crystallized ginger. Cut into bars and serve.