Apple cinnamon snack cake
When holiday guests are due to arrive, bake this fragrant vegan snack cake to fill the house with its welcoming cinnamon-apple aroma and greet your company with a tasty nibble as they settle in for a few festive days.
Apple Cinnamon Snack Cake
- 2 tablespoons ground flax
- 6 tablespoons water
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, melted
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 4 Granny Smith apples, cored, chopped
- Chopped nuts for garnish, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine flax and water and set aside for 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and salt.
- In the bowl of a standup mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine butter and sugars. Beat until well-combined. Add flax mixture and vanilla and continue to beat until well-combined.
- Add flour mixture and blend on medium speed until just moist. Stir in diced apple. Transfer to the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- Serve cake warm or at room temperature, garnished with nuts, if desired. Store completely cooled cake in an airtight container for up to 3 days.