Rice-Stuffed Grape Leaves (Dolmades)
Stuffed grape leaves are one of my favorite finger foods. Though they are available in Mediterranean or specialty delis, you can easily make your own. Check out the recipe to see how it's done.
This recipe features Cat Cora's Kitchen Early Harvest Greek Grape Leaves, which are packaged in brine and ready to roll.
Rice-Stuffed Grape Leaves/ Dolmades (Serves 24)
- 1/3 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 cup long-grain brown rice
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 3 cups vegetable broth, divided
- 2/3 cup dried currants
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh mint
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (10-ounce) jar Cat Cora's Kitchen Early Harvest Greek Grape Leaves, rinsed, drained*
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, lemon zest and juice, and cook, stirring often, until vegetables are softened.
- Add brown rice and cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes then stir in pine nuts.
- Add 2 cups broth and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Stir in currants, mint, and parsley. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside to cool enough to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray or brush with oil. Set aside.
- For the grape leaves, remove the tough stems, keeping the leaves intact. Pat dry with paper towels.
- Lay a grape leaf on a work surface. Put about 2 tablespoons of the rice filling near the stem end of the leaf. Fold the stem end over the filling, then fold both sides toward the middle, and roll snugly but not too tightly into a small cigar.
- Squeeze lightly in the palm of your hand to secure the roll. Repeat with remaining grape leaves and filling.
- Place the dolmades in the prepared baking dish, seam side down. Pour the remaining cup of broth and remaining olive oil over the dolmades, the liquid should reach halfway up the rolls, add some water if necessary.
- Cover the dish and bake for 35 minutes or until dolmades are tender and heated through. Serve warm or at room temperature.
*Proceeds from this product and other Cat Cora products will support Chefs for Humanity in their fight against hunger.