Slow Cooker Apple Brown Betty
Yum! Tender, sweet apples swimming in a brown sugar spice sauce makes for one of my favorite fall and winter desserts.
Slow Cooker Apple Brown Better
This Apple Brown Betty recipe is simmered in a slow cooker, giving you hours of enticing aroma wafting through your kitchen. Serve this vegan dessert with a scoop of your favorite dairy-free vanilla ice cream.
- 1-1/2 cups dry whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup very finely chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 6 apples, cored, sliced
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- Finely grated zest and juice from 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup apple juice
- In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs, cinnamon, walnuts, and butter.
2. In a large bowl, combine apples, cranberries, brown sugar, lemon zest, and lemon juice,
tossing to combine.
3. Place half of the apple mixture in a slow cooker. Sprinkle with half of the bread crumb mixture.
4. Layer with remaining apple mixture and top with crumb mixture. Evenly pour apple juice over mixture.
5. Fold a clean kitchen towel in half and place on top of slow cooker then place lid on top. The towel will absorb moisture.
6.Cook on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours or until apples are tender and mixture is hot and bubbly.