Warmly spiced and maple sweet, these delicious cookies won’t last long when your family gets a taste of them.
Maple Spice Cookies
Makes about 2 dozen
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar, ground finely in a coffee grinder
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegan butter, chilled in freezer, cut into pieces
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup maple syrup, plus more for brushing
- 1/2 cup crushed pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and line 2 baking sheets lined with parchment paper
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices, salt, and sugar into a large bowl.
- Add the butter and rub into the dry ingredients using your fingers. Add zest and mix well.
- Add maple syrup and stir until dough is smooth and comes together into a ball.
- Break off 2-teaspoon-sized pieces of the dough and roll into balls (you’ll have about 24 balls).
- Place balls, well-spaced apart, on baking sheets and flatten slightly. Press a few pieces of pecan onto the tops of each cookie.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until crisped and lightly browned.
- Place baking sheets on wire racks and brush with additional maple syrup.
- Allow cookies to cool slightly before servings or, if you are making cookies ahead, let them cool completely then store them layered with waxed paper in an airtight container.
More delicious vegan cookie recipes