Even though the temperatures are dropping, I’m still turning to chilled salads to get my quota of veggies. This vegan salad, inspired by ingredients I had in my kitchen, features tender broccoli, sweet kidney beans, olives, green onions, hazelnuts, and a simple homemade vinaigrette.
Steamed Broccoli and Kidney Bean Salad
- 3 heads of broccoli, lightly steamed, cut into bite-sized florets
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 cup pitted Kalamata olives
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced (green and white parts)
- Handful of raisins or dried currants
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons Cat Cora’s Kalamata DOP Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 to 1/3 cup coarsely crushed hazelnuts
- In a large bowl, combine broccoli, beans, olives, green onions, raisins or dried currants, and parsley.
- In a small bowl, whisk together oil and vinegar. Pour over broccoli salad and toss well to coat.
- Season with salt and pepper and toss again. Serve garnished with hazelnuts. Serve immediately.
Cook’s note: You can make salad up to 2 days ahead, but don’t add hazelnuts until right before serving, to keep them crunchy.
More vegan salad recipes!