A holiday side dish favorite from my childhood, baked sweet potatoes topped with caramelized brown sugar, cinnamon, banana slices, and marshmallows is more like a dessert than a side for a savory meal. You may just find yourself digging into this vegan-friendly recipe throughout the fall and winter.
Dessert-Style Baked Sweet Potatoes
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 2 bananas, sliced
- 1-1/2 cups small marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. and spray a 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Rinse and scrub sweet potatoes and arrange in baking dish. Cover with foil and bake for 50 minutes or until sweet potatoes are very soft.
- Use a sharp knife to slit potatoes lengthwise, opening each in half, flesh side up.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, stir together butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon until butter is melted.
- Stir vanilla into butter mixture then pour evenly over sweet potatoes.
- Top with sliced bananas and marshmallows. Turn oven to broil.
- Broil sweet potato mixture until marshmallows are puffed and toasted.
- Remove dish from oven and serve hot.
More tasty holiday vegan menus