Fill manicotti shells with roasted eggplant and spinach tofu and you’ve got a great vegan Italian meal to serve your family.
Vegan Eggplant Manicotti
- 8 manicotti shells
- 1 large eggplant, ends trimmed, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons ground flax
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups spinach leaves
- 6 to 7 fresh basil leaves, minced
- 2 to 3 cups your favorite tomato sauce
- 1 cup shredded vegan cheese
- Cook manicotti shells according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Brush egglant with half of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place slices on a large baking sheet and roast for 15 to 20 minutes or until tender and lightly browned. Set eggplant aside until it is cool to the touch.
- Lower oven heat to 350 degrees F. and spray a medium baking dish with cooking spray.
- While the eggplant is cooling, mash tofu with flax and set aside.
- Heat remaining oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and spinach, stirring to combine. Cover skillet and let spinach steam for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until spinach is wilted.
- Transfer spinach to a cutting board and chop. Add spinach to tofu and stir to combine.
- Transfer eggplant to a food processor and pulse to coarsely chop. Add tofu, basil, and salt and pepper to taste, pulsing to combine.
- Spread a thin layer of tomato sauce on the bottom of the baking dish.
- Fill manicotti shells with eggplant mixture and arrange in the baking dish. Pour remaining sauce over manicotti and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Serve hot.
More delicious vegan Italian recipes