Instead of basic hot cereal for breakfast, try this baked oatmeal recipe featuring nutty flax, tender bananas, and maple syrup.
Baked Banana Oatmeal
- 1-1/4 cups rolled oats
- 2-2/3 cups water
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons ground flax
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of cloves
- Freshly grated nutmeg to taste
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup (plus more for serving)
- 1-1/2 bananas, thinly sliced
- Brown sugar to taste
- Vanilla soy, almond, or coconut milk
- Raisins and chopped nuts, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and spray an 9-inch square baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place oats, water, and salt in a medium pot over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in flax, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg, and continue to cook until liquid is absorbed and oatmeal is cooked.
- Stir in maple syrup and pour into prepared baking dish.
- Add sliced bananas, pressing them down into the oatmeal. Sprinkle modestly with brown sugar.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until bananas are tender.
- Serve hot with your choice of dairy-free milk, topped with raisins and nuts.
More tasty vegan breakfast ideas