Add some flavorful heat to your basic brown rice recipe with curry, garlic, and roasted peppers. This tasty vegan side dish is also an eye-opening breakfast dish when you need an extra kick to get you going.
Curried Short-Grain Brown Rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup short-grain brown rice
- 2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 teaspoon curry powder plus more to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 3/4 cup chopped roasted red, orange, or yellow bell peppers
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots and garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Stir in brown rice and cook, stirring frequently, for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Carefully stir in rice, broth or water, curry, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 25 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Remove bay leaf and stir in carrot, peppers, and currants. Season with salt and pepper and more curry, if desired. Serve warm.
More unique vegan dishes
Vegan flour tortillas
Vegan Coconut Pineapple Rice
Homemade vegan mozzarella cheese pizza