The 2013 CMT Music Awards was full of great performances, some fantastic fashion, funny hosts and more than a few interesting moments.
Overall, the 2013 CMT Music Awards show went pretty well. Hosts Jason Aldean and Kristen Bell brought the laughs, there were a lot of great performances and tons of fantastic fashion. Thanks to a few technical glitches, there were some awkward moments, but mostly things ran smoothly for country music’s night of nights.
There are always exciting moments that happen when a show airs live — some good and some, well, interesting. Here are our picks for the top 10 most interesting moments from the show.
- Thanks to prompters that kept going down throughout the evening, Kristen Bell had to vamp a bit before bringing on Dog the Bounty Hunter and his wife Beth, who were there to present Performance of the Year. Bell handled it like a pro though and managed to get a few laughs out of the audience.
- Aldean, on the other hand, had trouble even when the prompters were working. He made a valiant effort, but still stumbled more than a few times when making announcements.
- Bell and Aldean promised everyone that they were going to sing a duet by the end of the evening and the audience would get to decide what song. Bell suggested several songs, such as “Islands in the Stream” and “Don’t You Want Me Baby” but ultimately the two ended up performing “Mama Don’t Let Your Babies Grow Up to be Cowboys”.
- Larry the Cable Guy got on stage to present Collaborative Video of the Year, but took a moment to tell Carrie Underwood to stop calling him. Her husband took umbrage and started to approach the stage, but backed off with a laugh and all in good fun. When Larry began to announce the nominees, he began with “Me and Darius Rucker… oh that’s the wrong video,” which made everyone laugh.
- More technical difficulties: Charles Esten and Jana Kramer took the stage to present an award but their mic cut out just as they said the name of the band. Luckily everyone in the live audience could hear them though.
- During Lady Antebellum’s performance of “Goodbye Town” the camera cut to Carrie Underwood and her husband. The poor guy looked mostly dumbfounded and, oddly enough, seemed to have the same expression on his face throughout the evening. Could it be that was his version of a smile?
- While accepting her award for Female Video of the Year, Miranda Lambert says getting a kiss from Lenny Kravitz was an award in itself, after he gave her a congratulatory smooch when she joined him on stage. The funny thing was that she looked more excited by the kiss than she did by the award.
- When Sheryl Crow and Kenny Rogers took the stage together, she started singing “Islands in the Stream” but took Kenny’s part. It was all part of the fun and once Kenny corrected her, the two sang a bit of the hit song together. It was one of the highlights of the evening.
- Throughout the show, the camera panned over to give us lots of shots of Taylor Swift enjoying the show. The singer was seen singing along with every song, dancing and laughing with the fun on stage. She looked like she had the most fun of everyone there.
- Florida Georgia Line performed their song “Cruise” with Nelly while people on stage painted graffiti and others break danced. It was basically everything you’d never expect to see on a country music show, which made it even more fun.