District 9 director Neill Blomkamp is heading to the future for Elysium. With the aid of Matt Damon, he’ll tackle class and environmental issues with this sci-fi action flick.
Sci-fi class warfare
In the future (2154 to be exact) society will be split into two classes: the wealthy and the rest. The wealthy can afford residency on a private space station called Elysium. The rest are forced to live on the overpopulated and heavily polluted Earth. One of those unfortunate souls is Max (Matt Damon), a man desperate to board Elysium. In order to do so, he has to bypass Secretary Rhodes’ (Jodie Foster) hard-line forces. If he succeeds, he could save his life as well as millions of others.
Check out more of our Elysium coverage
- Matt Damon’s a sci-fi hero in Elysium trailer
- EXCLUSIVE: Matt Damon turns on the charm in Elysium clip
- Elysium: What would the world look like in 2154?
- Elysium movie review: Hot Damon on mission to space
- Battle of the flicks: Elysium vs. We’re the Millers
Watch the trailer
Buy or pre-order your tickets below
Elysium opens in theaters Aug. 9.