John Lennon's killer is up for parole this week
Almost 32 years after Lennon's death, friends, family and fans alike are opposing the release of the singer's admitted killer.
Mark David Chapman was sentenced to 20 years to life after Lennon's murder and is up for parole next week. He has been given this opportunity six times before.
"Corrections Department spokeswoman Linda Foglia told the Associated Press that he'll stand before the parole board sometime this week, with a decision possibly coming Thursday or Friday," said CBS News.
The last time Chapman was up for parole was September 2010, according to CBS News. Lennon's widow, Yoko Ono, has opposed any chance of release of her husband's killer, saying she was worried about the safety of herself and her family.
October marks what would have been Lennon's 72nd birthday.
Chapman pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in 1981 and was sentenced to 20 years to life. According to USA Today, he was transferred from the Attica Correctional Facility in Western New York to the Wende Correctional Facility in May of this year.
CNN reports that the reason Chapman was denied parole in 2010 was that "... discretionary release remains inappropriate at this time and incompatible with the welfare of the community," according to the New York State Division of Parole. He was first up for parole in 2000 and has been denied every two years since then.
Even 32 years after his death, Lennon is influential in the music world and continues to make new fans of all generations.
"The date of his death, Dec. 8, is still marked to this day by a music-filled vigil in Central Park's 'Strawberry Fields,'" said CBS News, "located just across the street from where he was shot."