Fantastic Fest unleashes first round of films
If you love sci-fi, horror and fantasy, we've got the festival for you. Fantastic Fest is less than two months away and its first round of films have been announced. This year, they'll kick things off with the comic adaptation, Dredd 3D.
Following in the footsteps of Toronto and Venice, Fantastic Fest has revealed its 2012 lineup. The first wave of films include the red carpet premiere of the sci-fi flick Dredd 3D, which stars Karl Urban and Lena Headey.
According to Dredd's official synopsis, the future America is an irradiated wasteland. On its East Coast, running from Boston to Washington, DC, lies Mega City One — a vast, violent metropolis where criminals rule the chaotic streets. The only force of order lies with the urban cops called "Judges," who possess the combined powers of judge, jury and instant executioner.
Known and feared throughout the city, Dredd (Urban) is the ultimate Judge, challenged with ridding the city of its latest scourge — a dangerous drug epidemic that has users of "Slo-Mo" experiencing reality at a fraction of its normal speed.
So what other films will be joining Dredd 3D at Fantastic Fest? Check out the rest of the initial lineup below:
- Cockneys VS Zombies (2011): US Premiere, Director -- Matthias Hoene, 87min
- Dead Sushi (2012): US Premiere, Director -- Noboru Iguchi, 91min
- Dredd 3D (2012): Gala Premiere, Director -- Pete Travis, 98 min
- The Entity (1982): Repertory Screening as part of the House of Psychotic Women series, Director -- Sidney J. Furie, 125min
- Errors of The Human Body (2012): US Premiere, Director -- Eron Sheean, 101min
- Everybody in Our Family (2011): US Premiere, Director -- Radu Jude, 107min
- I Declare War (2012): Regional Premiere, Director -- Jason Lapeyre and Robert Wilson, 91min
- The King of Pigs (2011): Texas Premiere, Director -- Yeun Sang-Ho, 97min
- Le Memoria Del Muerto (2012): US Premiere, Director -- Valentín Javier Diment, 89min
- The Mafu Cage (1978): Repertory Screening as part of the House of Psychotic Women series, Director -- Karen Arthur, 102min
- Paris by Night (2011): Texas Premiere, Director -- Philippe Lefebvre, 100min
- Room 237 (2012): Texas Premiere, Director -- Rodney Ascher, 102min
- Secret Ceremony (1968): Repertory Screening as part of the House of Psychotic Women series, Director -- Joseph Losey, 105min
- The Shining (1980): Repertory Screening, Director -- Stanley Kubrick, 142min
- Tower Block (2012): US Premiere, Directors -- James Nunn and Ronnie Thompson, 87min
- Unit 7 (Grupo 7) (2012): Texas Premiere, Director -- Alberto Rodriguez, 95min
- Wrong (2011): Regional Premiere, Director -- Quentin Dupieux, 94min
- Young Gun in the Time (2012): US Premiere, Director -- Oh Young Doo, 95min
Look for more film and event programming announcements for Fantastic Fest in the weeks ahead.
Fantastic Fest will run Sept. 20-27 in Austin, Texas at the Alamo Drafthouse South Lamar.