Venice Film Festival unveils 2012 lineup
Move over Toronto, you're not the only game in town. The Venice Film Festival has released its 2012 roster of shorts, documentaries and narratives set for the annual celebration.
The 69th Venice International Film Festival has revealed its lineup for this year's star-studded event. Thursday, artistic director Alberto Barbera announced the roster, while poking fun at its Toronto peers.
"In preparing Venice I have very much admired and envied my friend and colleague who heads the Toronto Film Festival," he said.
"He has an easy job: he can take 350 movies, and therefore accept almost anything. We have chosen a much tougher path, in which, after lots of discussions, we had to say 'no' a lot. And it was very tough."
According to Variety, the Venice International Film Festival will open with Mira Nair's The Reluctant Fundamentalist. She's just one of 20 female directors who'll debut their work this year. Can you say "Girl Power?"
Here's the full list of competing and non-competing films below:
Opening Film (Out of Competition) — The Reluctant Fundamentalist, Mira Nair (U.S., Qatar)
- Something In The Air (Apres Mai), Olivier Assayas (France)?
- At Any Price, Ramin Bahrani (US-UK)?
- Dormant Beauty (Bella Addormentata), Marco Bellocchio (Italy-France)?
- La Cinquieme Saison, Peter Brosens and Jessica Woodworth (Belgium-Netherlands-France)?
- Fill The Void (Lemale Et Ha'Chalal), Rama Burshtein (Israel)?
- E Stato il Figlio, Daniele Cipri (Italy-France)?
- Un Giorno Speciale, Francesca Comencini (Italy)?
- Passion, Brian De Palma (France-Germany)?
- Superstar, Xavier Giannoli (France-Belgium)?
- Pieta, Ki-duk Kim (South Korea)?
- Outrage Beyond, Takeshi Kitano (Japan)?
- Spring Breakers, Harmony Korine (US)?
- To The Wonder, Terrence Malick (US)?
- Thy Womb (Sinapupunan), Brillante Mendoza (Philippines)?
- Linhas de Wellington, Valeria Sarmiento (Portugal-France)?
- Paradise: Faith (Paradies: Glaube), Ulrich Seidl (Austria-France-Germany)?
- Betrayal (Izmena), Kirill Serebrennikov (Russia)
Out of Competition?
- L'homme qui rit, Jean-Pierre Ameris (France) ?
- Love Is All You Need, Susanne Bier (Denmark/Sweden)?
- Cherchez Hortense, Pascal Bonitzer (France)?
- Sur un fil, Simon Brook (France/Italy)?
- Enzo Avitabile Music Life, Jonathan Demme (documentary) (Italy/U.S.)?
- Tai Chi 0, Stephen Fung (China)?
- Lullaby to My Father, Amos Gitai (Israel/France)?
- Shokuzai (Penance), Kiyoshi Kurosawa (Japan)
- Bad 25, Spike Lee (documentary) (U.S.)?
- The Reluctant Fundamentalist, Mira Nair (India/Pakistan/U.S.)?
- O Gebo e a Sombra, Manoel de Oliveira (Portugal/France)?
- The Company You Keep, Robert Redford (U.S.)?
- Shark (Bait 3D), Kimble Rendall (China)?
- Disconnect, Henry-Alex Rubin (U.S.)?
- The Iceman, Ariel Vromen (U.S.)
Out of Competition — Special Events?
- Anton tut ryadom (Anton's Right Here), Lyubov Arkus (documentary) (Russia) ?
- Ya Man Aach (It Was Better Tomorrow), Hinde Boujemaa (documentary) (Italy)?
- Sfiorando il muro, Silvia Giralucci and Luca Ricciardi (documentary) (Italy)?
- Carmel, Amos Gitai (Israel/France/Italy)?
- El impenetrable, Daniele Incalcaterra and Fausta Quattrini (documentary (Argentina/France)?
- Witness: Libya, Michael Mann (documentary) (U.S.)?
- Medici con l'Africa, Carlo Mazzacurati (documentary) (Italy)?
- La nave dolce, Daniele Vicari (documentary) (Italy/Albania)
- Wadjda, Haifaa Al Mansour (Germany)?
- Khanéh Pedari (The Paternal House), Kianoosh Ayari (Iran)?
- Ja Tozhe Hochu (I Also Want It), Alexey Balabanov (Russia)?
- Gli equilibristi, Ivano De Matteo (Italy)?
- L'intervallo, Leonardo Di Costanzo (Italy/Switzerland/Germany)?
- El Sheita Elli Fat (Winter of Discontent), Ibrahim El Batout (Egypt)?
- Tango Libre, Frédéric Fonteyne (Belgium/France/Luxembourg)?
- Menatek Ha-Maim (The Cutoff Man), Idan Hubel (Israel)?
- Gaosu tamen, wo cheng baihe qu le (Fly with the Crane), Li Ruijun (China)?
- Kapringen (A Hijacking), Tobias Lindholm (Denmark)?
- Leones, Jazmin Lopez (Argentina/France/Netherlands)?
- Bellas Mariposas, Salvatore Mereu (Italy)?
- Low Tide, Roberto Minervini (U.S./Italy/Belgium)?
- Boxing Day, Bernard Rose (Great Britain/U.S.)?
- Yema, Djamila Sahraoui (Algeria/France)?
- Araf (Araf -- Somewhere in Between), Yesim Ustaoglu (Turkey/France/Germany)?
- Sennen no Yuraku (The Millennial Rapture), Koji Wakamatsu (Japan) ?
- San Zi Mei (Three Sisters), Bing Wang (documentary) (France/Hong Kong-China)
Horizons Short Films?
- Las manos limpias, Carlos Armella (Mexico) ?
- Bansulli (The Flute), Min Bham (Nepal)?
- O Afinador, Fernando Camargo and Matheus Parizi (Brazil)?
- Resistente, Renate Costa and Salla Sorri (Denmark/Finland/Paraguay)?
- La sala, Alessio Giannone (Italy)?
- Marla, Nick King (Australia)?
- Miracle Boy, Jake Mahaffy (U.S.)?
- Living Still Life, Bertrand Mandico (France/Belgium/Germany)?
- Frank-Étienne vers la béatitude, Constance Meyer (France)?
- I'm the One, Paola Morabito (Australia)?
- Luisa no está en casa, Celia Rico Clavellino (Spain)?
- Cargo, Carlo Sironi (Italy)
- ?Cho-De (Invitation), Yoo Min-young (South Korea)?
- Titloi Telous (Out of Frame), Yorgos Zois (Greece)
Horizons Short Films — Closing Film?
- Diamond Sutra, Ming-liang Tsai (Chinese Taipei)
- L'homme qui rit, Jean-Pierre Ameris (France)
The Venice International Film Festival runs Aug. 29-Sept. 8.